My Favorite Back-to-School Library Stations (That Students Love!)
It’s that time of year again! The aisles at Walmart and Target are overflowing with school supplies, your principal has sent out the back-to-school newsletter, and your social media is flooded with reels showcasing the latest classroom tips and tricks.
Last week, I took the plunge and headed to school to get my library ready before teachers officially return. I’ve found that once everyone is back on campus, I’m pulled in so many directions that I rarely have time to prepare my own space. That’s why I like to beat the rush.
I spent the day moving furniture back into place and getting the physical space ready for students. Today, I spent a couple of hours setting up my library stations for the first month of school. I documented the process so you could follow along as I prepare my August library stations. Throughout this post, I’ll also share links to the materials I use. The links are Amazon affiliate links. If you purchase through these links, I may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Creating a Station Choice Board
Over the years, I have been asked many questions about my station choice board. After trying several different versions over the years, I’ve settled on this setup because it works best for my library.
It was important to have a magnetic board so I could easily change it each month. I have found this metal oil drip pan to be the perfect solution. The size is just right; it is magnetic, and it will last for many years. I realize it is a bit pricey, but if you plan to use library stations for several years, this pan will stand the test of time. I have had mine for about ten years. I have changed the vinyl on it once, but I have always used the same pan.
To create a visual for students to see what stations are available, I set up the station and snap a picture of it. Next, I print the station picture, laminate it on my personal laminator using the thick laminating sheets, and add a couple of pieces of magnetic tape so the picture will stick to the board.Next, I created magnetic buttons to show how many seats are available at each station. I purchased large colorful buttons and hot-glued a circular magnet on the back of each one. If a station is designed for four students, I will place four buttons next to the picture of that station.
When it is time for students to choose a station, they line up in front of the station choice board. On their turn, they look to see what stations still have spots available (available stations will have a magnet beside the picture), they make a choice, remove a button from next to their choice, and place it in the small container I have to collect the buttons.Back-To-School Stations
I prefer to have very small groups at each of my stations. Most stations will seat 2-3 students. At most, I will have stations that hold up to 4 students. Since I keep groups small, I simply offer more station choices. The sky (and your budget) is the limit for choosing what stations you use. The most important things to consider when choosing what stations to set out are that the stations are both entertaining and easy to use.
I have been utilizing stations in my library for many years. I have built a large collection of station supplies, but it was not always that way. In the beginning of my stations journey, I had simple stations, and many of them were created with donated supplies.
I will detail the stations I have found work best for my library in August and September. You can copy my ideas or create your own!
At each station, I include a small sign using this sign holder. The sign gives directions for how the station is to be used and how to clean up that station.
Puzzle Station
Once again, I use an oil drip pan at this station. I chose a smaller pan so it will fit on my table. I like that it has a small lip all around the pan, which keeps the puzzle pieces in place. Any puzzle will work at this station. I have found that a 100-piece puzzle is perfect for elementary age students. Most classes will get the puzzle started, leave the pieces that have been put together, and the next class or two can come along and add pieces until it is complete.
Lego WallMy Lego wall was created by an Eagle Scout who needed a community project idea. He did an incredible job, and students have been enjoying it for several years and will enjoy it for many years to come. If you are not lucky enough to find someone to build a Lego Wall for you, you can create one yourself! I followed the directions by Diana Rendina and created one on my own at my previous school. It was fairly inexpensive and easy to make. I only had to have help attaching it to the wall at my school.
I used generic-brand LEGO plates for the wall. I collected Legos from teachers who had Legos their children were no longer using. In fact, I am still using those donated Legos today!
Reading Station
Each month, I include a reading station for students who prefer to read instead of working in stations. This is probably my easiest station to set up. I just grab high-interest, monthly-themed book choices from the library and place them in the center of a few fun independent reading chairs. I also allow students to bring their own library book to read.
Recently, our district purchased a few Wonderbooks for each library. I started including one or two of these with headphones and a headphone splitter (so two students can listen to one book at the same time) at the reading station. They quickly became a big hit!
Magnetic Blocks
The magnetic blocks station is consistently one of my students’ favorite stations. In fact, most months I will include two sets of magnetic blocks for two different stations. I place one set in a purple tub and one in a red tub. I have trained students to pay attention to which color tub they choose from the station board, so that they will go to the correct station (purple or red tub).
Tic-Tac-ToeI found a wooden Tic-Tac-Toe board like this one summer at a Five Below store. I grabbed it to try it out as a station. I honestly wasn’t expecting it to become so popular, but students love it. In fact, you can even teach students how to create their own with pencil and paper!
Kiva PlanksIf there’s one thing I have learned students of all ages love to do at stations, it is build things! I purchased a large set of wooden planks (similar to the Kiva brand). I have a huge bag of them that I set on a table. I include photos of structures they can build for inspiration, then turn them loose to create. This simple station is a crowd pleaser.
Osmo Tangrams
Several years ago, I wrote a grant for station supplies. In the grant, I requested three iPads and various Osmo sets. I realize this isn’t cost-efficient for most libraries. If you plan to use stations in your library, though, I would definitely consider writing a grant for supplies and including iPads and Osmo. The kids love using them!
Bookmark MakingLastly, I try to include at least one art-themed station per month. The first one for the year is always bookmark making. For this station, I download free back-to-school-themed bookmarks from Teachers Pay Teachers. I also include crayons packed in a plastic soap dish (for easy clean-up). In addition, I will include blank strips of paper for the students who prefer to create their own hand-drawn bookmark. I limit the students at this station to two bookmarks to color or draw. Otherwise, many students want to color every design, and there simply isn’t enough time.
As I mentioned before, the possibilities are endless when it comes to library stations. These are the eight stations I’ve used to kick off the school year for the past three years, and they continue to be favorites with students in first through fourth grade. They require minimal setup, use relatively few materials, and provide something for every type of learner.
If you have a favorite back-to-school station that your students love, I’d love to hear about it! Leave a comment below and share your ideas-you might inspire another librarian.
I hope these ideas help you start the school year feeling prepared and excited. Wishing you a wonderful school year filled with happy readers, curious learners, and just a little extra peace in your library!






Comments
Post a Comment